Monday, May 12, 2008

A Teacher's Permission

Working with 5 year olds, they come to trust you just like Mom and Dad. I can't count how many times I have been called Mom or Dad, sometimes even grandma. The student's feel a sense of security and trust. Along with this I get asked questions that I can't really answer. (those kind too, but not what I mean here). I am often asked if so and so can come over for a playdate or if they can buy lunch because they didn't know it was hot dog day and mom made them a lunch. Of course, I have to be the bad guy and say "Sorry Sweetie, not today. Make sure to ask mom to read the menu". Or "Make sure to ask you mom to call so and so's mom to set up the play date tonight."

A few weeks ago we returned for Spring Break. We were sharing what we did and our favorite things. Most of the student stayed home and play some sort of video games. Some went to day cares, and a few got a chance to travel. A little girl was telling us about her trip to Hawaii. She went swimming, saw a rainbow and even swam with the dolphins. "Oohs and Ahhs" were heard along with giggles.

As the students were headed to their table activities, one little boy came to me and said, "Hey Mrs. Underwood. Hawaii sure sounds fun!"

"Yes it does!"

"I really want to go there. Do you think it would be ok if I ask my mom if we can go there?"

"I think that would be a great idea! But only if Mrs. Underwood can come to!"

"Nooooooo!" he said laughing.

Hey! It was worth a shot!




1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ha ha .. I keep telling Lisa Harding that she "needs" a nanny for Tori!

One of these days I hope it will work!

xoxo